Baffled Blogger… Send Help
When I decided to start a blog I wasn’t entirely sure what to expect, but what I found is that I bloody love it! The blogging community is amazing and I’ve (virtually) met some fantastic people.
I only started my blog in September 2016 so I am still a fairly new blogger (can I call myself a blogger yet?!?!) but I would go as far as saying that starting this blog is one of the best things I’ve ever done, even if I have been in a permanent state of confusion since the start.
Some of my confusions/questions are:
- What exactly is Vlogging and is it something I should think about in the future?
- How the bloody hell does Pinterest work? Seriously? It’s so confusing!
- How do I best use Instagram? Especially when I’m a crappy photographer, which is made worse by the fact that my toddler subject won’t sit still.
- Should I have a logo designed or at least attempt to design one myself?
- If I make a Facebook page does it have to come from my personal account? (Nobody knows about my blog apart from Chris, my mum, and my sister)
- Why should my photos be a certain size and how do I get them to be this size?
I’ve been confused about a lot of things since starting the blog but I’ve managed to work them out as I went along. I know I’ll eventually have the answers to these uncertainties too, and I will have fun figuring them out along the way.
Confusion aside, I am loving blogging, so much so, I have decided it’s time to think about going self hosted.
The problem with that though, is that I can’t seem to get my head around how I go from my free little WordPress blog to a self hosted site. I’m not even sure I know what self hosted actually means.
Saying I am confused about the whole thing would be an understatement. Words like befuddled, discombobulated, flummoxed and perplexed are way more fitting.
I think I’ve read too much information about it at this point. Just when I think I am starting to understand it, I somehow end up confusing myself even more (easily done to be fair though).
I have so many questions:
- Do I really need to go self hosted or am I getting ahead of myself? Should I just upgrade my WordPress or would that be a waste of time?
- What is the difference between a hosted site and building a website, and how do I know which one should I go with?
- I’ve seen things about self hosted WordPress or putting your own site on WordPress. What do these mean? Are they different?
- If I went self hosted would my content, stats and followers transfer over to the new site?
- Do I have to be a coding whizz, because that, I am not?
- Do my questions even make sense?
My head hurts thinking about it all…
I feel like I’ve been in a permanent state of confusion since starting my blog but it’s a good confusion, because I am loving every single second of my journey.
Maybe one of these days I’ll write a ‘how to’ post but I don’t envision that being for a good while yet, especially as the confusion is really making itself at home in my head!
If anybody has any tips or advice I would love to hear them.
As always, thank you for reading,
You can also find me blogging at Serenely Sam