Everyone loves some good old traditional comfort food, and I can think of nothing better than a big slab of cheese and onion pie. My grandma used to make the nicest cheese and onion pie I have ever tasted. I don’t know exactly what her recipe was but ‘Easy Peasy Cheesy Pie’ is my version of it. It is so simple to make but super tasty.
I hope you enjoy it as much as I do…
Easy Peasy Cheesy Pie
I used an enamel plate for the pie. It will serve 3 – 4 people. Change quantities if you are making a bigger pie.
*As with my meat and potato pie, this recipe is just a guide, and I am by no means a chef, so please add or substitute ingredients / amounts to your requirements.
- 200g cheddar cheese
- 1 small onion
- 2 tablespoons milk
- Ready rolled pastry
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Take pastry out of fridge to bring to room temperature
- Dice onion and boil in water (or vegetable stock if you would prefer) for around 20 minutes until onions are soft
- Grate the cheese
- Grease the plate with butter
- Cut ready rolled pastry in half (or separate into two if you have made it yourself). Both pieces need fit the plate
- Put one piece onto the plate
- Once onions are boiled, drain them and stir into the grated cheese
- Add the milk to the cheese and stir. Add a little bit more if necessary. You need enough milk to keep it moist, but you don’t want it runny.
- Add salt and pepper to taste, to your liking
- Spoon the mixture onto the plate
- Brush the edges of the pastry and place the top layer of pastry onto the top of the plate
- Crimp the edges together using either your fingers or a fork
- Trim off the excess pastry
- Brush the top of the pastry with milk or an egg yolk and then pierce a couple of small holes in the centre of the pie
- Bake in the oven at 180˚C/350˚F/Gas Mark 4 for around 30 minutes until pastry is golden brown
- Leave to stand for a couple of minutes. Then slice and serve.
Delicious traditional comfort food. Perfect.
Thanks for reading,